Candles To Keep Bugs Away
While we love to enjoy the warm summer weather, bugs and insects are a consistent summertime pest. Traditional bug spray and citronella candles are one way to keep pesky bugs away.
We’ve also found a great homemade candle to keep pests away. These candles are fun to make, pretty look at, and most importantly effective.
These candles use rosemary and citrus, that both add a touch of color to the liquid and prevent oils from evaporating too quickly.
So get some friends and family together to make this fun craft, and enjoy some outdoor bug-free relaxation.
What You Need:
- 4 jars
- 40 drops each (10 drops per pot) - essential oils of cedar, lavender, lemon and "thieves" (a combination of essential oil of cinnamon, clove, lemon, eucalyptus, and rosemary, that you can find on the market or do it yourself). You can also use your own combination of oils for indoors or holidays, but these are considered good for the outdoors.
- 1 fresh lemon cut into 4 slices
- 1 fresh lime cut in 4 slices
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Floating candles
- Fill each jar 3/4 full with water
- Add the essential oils of your choice - 10 drops per jar - and swirl slightly
- Place a sprig of rosemary in each pot
- Place a slice of lemon and lime in each pot
- Add water if necessary to raise the level to almost full
- Place a floating candle on top
- Light and see the mosquitoes and other bugs fly away
- Replace the candles as needed
Once the candles are off, put the lid back on and keep the pots in the fridge and take out if necessary.
Caution: Make sure no one ingests the mixture in the jar, and never leave the candles unattended or within reach of young children.
Originally posted on Gratuit